- On October 6, 2022, President Biden issued a full pardon for all federal convictions for simple possession of marijuana, urged state governors to pardon state-level possession convictions, and encouraged rescheduling of marijuana under federal law.
- The pardon only applies to simple marijuana possession convictions under federal law and the District of Columbia’s criminal code.
- The pardon does not extend to any state marijuana offenses or any federal offenses other than simple possession.
- Pardoned convictions will still appear on an individual’s record but will be accompanied by a certificate of pardon.
- Pardons “forgive” the conviction and remove any restrictions on a person’s right to vote, hold office, or sit on a jury that may have been imposed by the conviction.